I started sailing as a teenager, mainly on Flying Junior dinghies, but then moved to the Hobie
Cat 16 catamaran when I turned 18.
I competed in the local and national Italian Hobie Cat 16 regattas around many lakes and the
coast of Italy regularly from 2000 to 2004.
Over the years, I have competed in many IMS regattas around Italy as well as in the 'Barcolana',
a famous, traditional regatta that takes place every October in Trieste, Italy.
My role in these yacht regattas was usually as tactician or trimmer.
Since moving to the Bay area in 2016, I have participated in several different types of sailing activities, including:
- racing Hobie Cats (16, 18, 20) in the North-American championships 2016 & 2017;
- racing on various keelboats (J22, J24, J32, Flying Tiger 10, Express 35) as trimmer;
- teaching sailing to people who are blind, visually impaired, or otherwise disabled;
- skippering a Dufour 375 from Long Beach, L.A., CA to Cataliona Island, CA (August 2017) for a group of blind, visually impaired, or otherwise disabled women;
- teaching sailing and racing at the Women's Sailing Seminar in Alameda, CA (September 2017);
- working as Program Manager at a sailing center in the Bay Area.
Apart from competitions and regattas, I possess a long experience as sailor, having spent
many years sailing around Italy (Adriatic and Tyrrhenean Seas), Croatia (Adriatic Sea), and now also California.
I possess the skipper license ("Patente nautica") and I also delivered yachts, e.g. from Sanremo
to Ventotene (Italy), as a part-time job when I was a university student.
In partnership with a friend, I owned a TopCat catamaran, a small Piviere 6.14 ( about 19 ft) yacht and a 30-ft iron yacht, which we all bought run-down and second hand. Therefore, with my friend's
help, I had to do plenty of maintenance work on those boats we owned. I enjoyed this valuable experience and was able to make use of it again in the summer 2014, when I collaborated at the sailing school Escola Garbí near Barcelona, Spain, by helping them with the maintenance of their catamarans.
Sailing remains one of my strongest passions and I regularly sail catamarans and keelboats as well
as organize and deliver "Physics of Sailing" lectures to sailing schools and yacht clubs.